If you’re like me and you have that entrepreneur mindset, then you can be successful with Teachers Pay Teachers. Just about anyone can be successful with Teachers Pay Teachers as long as you have the know how. Let’s get some things straight. You don’t have to be a teacher to sell on TpT, you just have to be talented and have a passion for education as well as the desire to own your own business. Let’s all be real here, this is an online marketplace, it’s not like you own the site, but once you become a seller and make your first sell, you are a business owner on the path to success.
- Computer skills: This is a must. You’re working with an online marketplace and your technology is the key to your business success.
- Power Point knowledge: This program will become your absolute best friend and it is a program I use to create absolutely everything in my shop.
- Design skills: You’re going to have to create cover pages that will catch a lot of attention. Cover pages sell your product, trust me, they help. Investing in Clipart and learning how to use Power Point to create these brilliant cover pages is going to pay off in the long run.
- Social media experience: Places such as Pinterest and Facebook will help drive your sells. It does take time so don’t give up. My Pinterest has grown as has my Facebook, but I’ve been selling for over three years now and neither are where I would like them to be. If you need some assistance with this, feel free to ask, I’m always excited to help a fellow colleague out!
- Blogging skills: Creating a blog is going to gain you followers as well as sales. My blog hasn’t grown as much just like my other social networks, but this is an area I didn’t dedicate my time to until the last couple of months. I’ve created a blog on WordPress and actually got me a .com using bluehost. Learn a little more about this from this blog post.
- Passion and drive: if you are dedicated to your new business, you will go places. Passion is going to make your products great for teacher’s everywhere. Taking your time and putting a lot of hard work into a product will pay off. A high quality product will likely take you around 40 hours of work, I mean serious work depending on your intentions. So be prepared to dedicate your time and energy into this endeavor.
- Basic knowledge of core content/Common Core: This can be done with some research or even talking and working with your friends that just might be teachers. This knowledge is going to help you create powerful products. Please do keep in mind that not all states core content is the same. Some use the Common Core and some have their own core content. Do some research and make google your best friend.
- Paypal knowledge/account: You’ll be paid via Paypal from TpT so creating and getting a feel for Paypal is going to help you in the long run. Don’t be afraid of Paypal, it’s very protective of your personal information and this site does it’s best to keep your money safe.
- Patience: If you’re lucky, you won’t need this skill. I was one of those lucky ones. I started out and made $10,000 in my first six months selling on TpT. Yes, that was amazing and a true blessing from God. Most of the time, though, it’s going to take time to build your small business, this will be an important skill to possess. When sells are slow or I’m creating a new product idea that’s taking longer than expected, I need patience.
- Data Analysis Skills: This is a handy little skill you’re going to want to possess. It’ll help you to keep track of where you started when selling and how much you are growing as your business grows. Along the way you will be able to use this to improve products and increase sales.
I hope this list helps you on your endeavor and business! Go ahead, take your life to the next level and give TpT a try!